Liberal Studies This Week

Sharing your experience as an online student

If you would like to become a contributor to this blog, contact Andy at aegiz1 at uis.edu 

Friday Fun - An ode to eating too much

I may have mentioned this blog last year but it's still one of my favorites. Whether you need motivation to drop a few pounds or, like me, you like to look at food that is really bad for you rather than eating, you can't go wrong with This Is Why Your Fat. To give you an idea of what to expect, let me introduce you to The Widowmaker.


This is described as a pound and half of ground beef, a package of bacon, a package of italian sausage, a box of Hot Pockets, a half package of fried onion strips sandwiched between two Tombstone pepporoni pizzas then topped with Velvetta and marinara.

Look for more delicassies like this at http://thisiswhyyourefat.com/ You'll even find Springfield's own horseshoe sandwich listed.

Speaking of horseshoes, Springfield will be featured on the Travel Channel's Man V. Food this coming Wednesday. If you haven't seen this show I can't recommend it enough. The host is not a competitive eater, just a guy with a graduate degree from Yale who likes to eat and takes on local food challenges. In Springfield, he'll eat corndogs at the Cozy Dog Inn (a Route 66 stopping point), he'll eat a horseshoe sandwich (I make the best so ask me for the recipe if you want to try them), and for his challenge he will attempt to eat three bowls of Joe Roger's Firebrand Chilli (and yes, chilli has two l's within the Springfield city limits.)

http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Shows/Man_v_Food

3 comments:

Pam R. said...

All I can say is...WOW!

Now, I'm hungry. I guess that's why I l-o-v-e buffets, but that sandwich thingy takes the cake.

I look forward to seeing Man Vs. Food. I actually really like that show.

ScottM said...

It looked interesting till it hit the Hot Pockets/Tombstone ingredients, then it lost me.

Plus it doesn't hit my personal "bad for you" at home goal of being cooked in a FryDaddy. (A few of the other "meals" (& I use that term very loosely) definitely had the potential.)

Andy Egizi, Program Coordinator said...

I wouldn't assume that this whole hot-pocketed sandwich couldn't be battered and deep fried, although it might not fit in a Fry Daddy.